25 Reasons Why Modern Service Management is the Essential Element for Effective Digital Transformati
While it’s only natural for corporate leaders to get excited about the latest and greatest technology offerings on the market. Modern Service Management continues to evolve as the essential element for yielding great results and fast-tracking digital transformation objectives.
“Almost all quality improvement comes via simplification of design, manufacturing... layout, processes, and procedures” - Tom Peters (the Red Bull of management thinkers).
Here are 25 reasons why the adoption of Modern Service Management is being used to smash KPI’s, overcome a myriad of day to day issues and unlock tangible improvements as part of digital transformation often without the need for significant investment.
1. Speeds up the adoption of your Operating Model
If your digital transformation includes a refresh of your Operating Model - Take the opportunity to update resolver and fulfillment teams within your IT Service Management platform to help speed up the adoption and familiarisation of the revised operating model in practical terms.
2. Digitizes workflows in alignment with business rules and logic
An ITSM platform provides the opportunity to digitize manual fulfillment workflows based on defined business rules and logic.
3. Orchestrates responses and actions to be taken from alerts and monitoring
Event Management is a foundational ITSM process that orchestrates responses and actions to be executed based on a series of predefined rules, actions can be automated allowing (human) resources to focus on more higher value tasks.
4. Provides a single source of authoritative information
A Single System of Record (SSR) that provides the main authoritative source of information is at the heart of Modern Service Management. It’s the Service Management (central station) that provides key control processes (Incident, Change, Request, Problem, Event) while providing a central monitoring heartbeat functionality of the organisation.
5. Speeds up diagnosis of impacted IT Services when something goes wrong.
Knowledge Management is a foundational ITSM process that ensures critical information related to IT services is formally documented and maintained. Advanced knowledge management capabilities can ensure that the right information is presented at the right time based on predefined factors, speeding up initial diagnoses time
for support agents.
6. Anchors all IT interactions to a defined IT Services Model
Defining your IT Services and aligning them to your Business processes is one of the most important activities you can undertake. It allows for IT Services to be clearly defined, ensures the appropriate ownership of IT Services across teams and clearly defines support demarcations, approvals and availability targets are considered and in place.
7. Allows teams to customize their own work task and status views
An ITSM platform allows teams and fulfillment resources to customize work views including tasks, status and progress.
8. Provides essential control processes for restoring IT Service disruptions
Incident Management is a foundational ITSM based process that ensures service disruptions are restored as quickly as possible, minimizing impacts on your business.
9. Provides real-time insight or heartbeat into the day to day IT operations
An ITSM platform dash-boarding features provides real time insights and day to day IT operations heartbeat.
10. Allows users to browse and request from a pre-defined catalog of IT Services
A modern and simple IT Service Catalog provides an intuitive catalog of request-able items presented to users in a easy to understand (shopping cart) experience. It supports a self-service end user experience while automating back end fulfillment activities and tasks through the use of digital workflows.
11. Provides a consistent structure for teams to undertake deep dives and root cause analysis.
Problem Management is the foundational ITSM process that facilitates Root Cause and Deep Dive analysis to be undertaken formally, when a major service disruption occurs or for managing trends and themes.
12. Automates discovery routines and activities
An ITSM platform with discovery features configured can automate discovery routines and update the status of discovered items.
13. Provides a modern ‘Consumer Grade’ Experience when requesting and managing IT requests at work
Online shopping, ordering an uber or booking a holiday house are simple experiences we undertake as consumers, an ITSM platform provides a simple ‘consumer grade’ experience for requesting and managing IT requests at work.
14. Speeds up the ability to assess the impact on IT Services when something goes wrong
Service Asset & Configuration Management is a foundational ITSM process that captures and maintains an accurate anatomy view of IT Services. It includes the ability to quickly assess impacts of interrelated upstream and downstream components of an IT Service.
15. Digitizes Paper based IT and Business forms
An ITSM platform provides the opportunity to digitize multiple paper-based forms.
16. Combines multiple individual IT components into well defined, clearly articulated IT Services
Service Design provides a formal method for combining and structuring multiple
17. Ensures ongoing maintenance can be applied to critical IT Services with minimal impact
Change Management is a foundational ITSM process that ensures Changes can be applied to the controlled environment within minimal business disruption.
18. Provides the ability to capture and maintain an accurate inventory of all IT Assets
A Service Asset & Configuration data base provides the ability to maintain an accurate inventory of IT Assets in a centralized and easy to access central store. It also provides the ability to relate Assets to users allocation, status and location
19. Improves better decision making from accurate data and reporting functionality
An ITSM platform with reporting and dash-boarding features configured provides detailed insights for better decision.
20. Ensures IT costs can be accurately budgeted, accounted and recharged to the appropriate cost centre in agreement with the business.
Financial Management is a foundational ITSM process that provides a formal process to ensure IT Financial Budgeting, Accounting and Charging is undertaken in a formal, transparent and consistent way.
21. Allows users to request, review and check the status of IT Requests on the go.
An ITSM platform with mobile features configured provides users with access to be able to raise Incidents, request, review and check the status of requested items on the go.
22. Develop new Innovations, Methods, Processes and Products
Modern Service Management provides a central way for scaling up new innovations, improving processes and scaling out new value streams through digital workflows, standardized operations, consumer grade and experiences.
23. Supports Agile delivery methods
An ITSM platform supports Agile delivery methods by providing predefined templates, workflows and boards
24. Ensures Continual Service Improvement is formally adopted
Continual Service Improvement is a foundational ITSM process that ensures a formal 7 step process for managing ongoing improvements
25. Automates manual time-consuming fulfillment tasks
An ITSM platform provides the opportunity to automate manual fulfillment tasks as part of a digital workflows.
From fixing the basics to the adoption of best practices, from the consolidation of multiple back office processes to unlocking the power of digital workflows, there is no other central function that coordinates process and technology like modern service management to provides so much value.
If you would like to know more about developing your own Modern Service Management essential elements and receive your own free customized action plan, visit https://www.servicemanagementspecialists.com/ to book a free, no obligation 30 minute consult with a Modern Service Management expert.